The Walkersville Southern Railroad Museum’s mission extends far beyond displaying artifacts. One of our core functions is performing the specialized work of railroad repair and restoration. Our shop serves as the collection point for tools, rare equipment and knowledge used to support our local railroad community. The museum, the WSRR, and volunteer railroad enthusiasts have been performing restoration projects here for over 25 years.
1. Meadow lark
Pullman built the Meadow Lark and her sister car, the Shore Lark, in 1930 for general pool service use. Both cars were assigned to Southern Pacific’s overnight train, the Lark. One car was assigned to the northbound train and the other to the southbound.
The Lark was the “Businessman’s Dream Train” and began service on May 8, 1910, providing service between San Francisco and Los Angeles. In 1941, the Lark became streamlined in a two-tone gray paint scheme, and the Meadowlark and Shorelark were sent back to Pullman.
The Lark’s last train run took place on April 7 and 8, 1968. The next day she was retired, thereby closing a 58-year history.
The Meadow Lark and Shore Lark were sent to Boston and Maine. The Meadow Lark was then moved to New Haven, CT and converted in October 1954 to become business car #3 for the New Haven Railroad.
The car was subsequently sold on October 19, 1961, to Willis Barron of Ashland, PA, as a roadside attraction behind his motel where tours were offered for a quarter. In 1982, the car was purchased and moved to Gettysburg, PA, where it had a series of owners until it was finally donated to the Chesapeake Railway Association and moved to Walkersville in 2007. Restoration has been ongoing since the car arrived in 2007.
2. Ex PRR 44-Ton Locomotive# 9331 Overhaul and Restoration
This privately owned GE 44-ton locomotive #9331 was acquired from the Strasburg railroad in 2013. It is a 4-axle diesel-electric locomotive designed for industrial and light switching duties. The original caterpillar engines have exceeded their anticipated lifespan. In lieu of scrapping the locomotive, the owner has decided to perform an extensive overhaul while preserving its appearance and heritage. Work is presently underway in Walkersville and include:s
Prime Mover Replacement
Voltage Excitation and Regulation Replacement
Voltage Generator replacement
Control System Replacement
Battery Reduction 64 Volt Down to 32 Volt
Electrical Wiring Replacement 100%
Radiator Inspection and Cleaning
Engine Compartment Sand Blast & Paint (hoods removed from loco)
Electrical Cabinet Sand & Paint
Cab Sand and Paint
Engine Deck Sand and Paint Engine and Genset Footprint
Hood Removal and Bolt Renewal
3. Cosmetic Restoration 1941 Plymouth 18-Ton Locomotive
Built by the Plymouth Locomotive Works, this 18-ton switcher was WSSR’s first locomotive. It was acquired in the early 1990s from the Wilmington and Western Railroad of Delaware. This six cylinder Buda gasoline powered locomotive was the first motive power used by the Walkersville Southern Railroad. It was retired in the early 2000s and is now on permanent display outside of the museum